Leprosy is believed to exist in the Philippines even before the coming of the Spaniards and provision for the cure of persons afflicted with the disease was first made by the Franciscan Friars in the sixteenth century.
In Tiwi, Albay, the Franciscans constructed their church near the barrio of Naglagbong which was about 600 meters from the site of scattered sulphuric springs. Since they encouraged the sick to take a bath in the spring, the locality was named Baño. It is the place where the friars grouped the Hansenites to isolate them from the rest of the population. Eventually, patients from other parts of the Bicol region were as well ordered to live in Baño.
It was Governor General Leonard Wood's personal devotion to the cure leprosy patients that intensified the campaign to control the disease through the creation of colonies and treatment stations. On September 19, 1929, Bicol Treatment Station was established at Regan Barracks, Albay with 40 patients, a doctor and the 3 nurses.
As the patient-population grew in January 1930, the personnel was increased to 19 and the patients were moved to Lignon Hill. Just before the outbreak of World War II, Dr. Jesus Puno headed the Albay Skin Clinic which an auxiliary to the Treatment Station.
Under the Japanese Administration, the Bicol Treatment Station was relocated to Rawis, Legazpi City and only 40 patients stayed throughout the occupation period. The Bicol Treatment Station was renamed Bicol Sanitarium in 1946 and on April 19, 1949, the facility was then moved to its present location, San Pedro, Cabusao, Camarines Sur.